On Wednesday, 8 October 2014 at 17:39:46 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 10/8/2014 12:43 AM, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
I think this is an unjustified fear, there are already many environment variables that can affect your program. That's why they are called...
environment variables :)

Being on the front lines of tech support for 30 years, it is not an unjustified fear nor a hypothetical problem.

What you could do is propose a "secret" switch to all dmd generated programs that the druntime switch checks before main() gets control, such as:

    app --druntimeSet=usexxx ...the regular app args ...

Back when Druntime was called Ares, it was possible to choose the GC at link time. Do we really need to defer the decision to run time? If so, switching GCs after the app has started should work in most cases, though I'm not sure offhand if memory allocated by the prior GC will be scanned through for references within the new GC.