Am 11.10.2014 um 06:43 schrieb dennis luehring:
Am 11.10.2014 06:25, schrieb Andrei Alexandrescu:
On 10/10/14, 7:54 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
On 10/10/2014 5:45 PM, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
I still don't understand why wouldn't we use environment variables for
what they've been created for, it's foolish :-)

Because using environment variables to tune program X will also affect
programs A-Z.

Nope. Try this at your Unix command prompt:

echo $CRAP
CRAP=hello echo $CRAP
CRAP=world echo $CRAP

in windows there are user-environment-variables (walter talking about)
and shell-environment variables (like in your example)
setting user-environement variables will affect every program
thats why java is not using them

And lets not forget about OS/400 or any of the other non-POSIX systems out there, unless D is never expected to target such OSs.

--
Paulo