On Thu, 16 Oct 2014 09:10:38 +0100, Dylan Knutson <tcdknut...@gmail.com> wrote:

Wouldn't it be more generally useful to have another function like main() called init() which if present (optional) is called before/during initialisation. It would be passed the command line arguments. Then a program can chose to implement it, and can use it to configure the GC in any manner it likes.

Seems like this could be generally useful in addition to solving this issue.

Isn't this what module constructors are for? As for passed in parameters, I'm sure there's a cross platform way to retrieve them without bring passed them directly, ala how Rust does it.

Provided module constructors occur early enough in the process I guess this would work. You would need to ensure the module constructor doing the GC configuration occurred first too I guess.