On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 23:52:22 +0100, Leandro Lucarella <l...@llucax.com.ar> wrote:
The runtime is not platform independent AT ALL.
              ^ implementation

Why should you provide a platform agnostic way to configure it?

Because it makes life easier for developers and cross platform development, not to mention documentation. The benefits far outweigh the costs.

I can understand it if it's free,
but if you have to sacrifice something just to get a platform agnostic
mechanism, for me it's not worth it at all.

Reasonable people may disagree.

>All these fear about how this can obscurely affect programs
>is totally unfunded. That just does not happen. Not at least commonly
>enough to ignore all the other advantages of it.

Sure, but past/current env vars being used are used *privately* to a
single program.

NO, this is completely false, and why I think you are not entirely
familiar with env vars in posix. LD_PRELOAD and LD_LIBRARY_PATH affects
ALL, EACH and EVERY program for example. D or not D. Every single
dynamically linked program.

True. And the reason these behave this way is because we *always* want them to - the same is NOT true of the proposed vars for D. Which is my point.

This is a super common mechanism. I never ever had problems with this.
Did you? Did honestly you even know they existed?

Yes.  But this is beside the point, which I hope I have clarified now?

Regan