20-Nov-2014 16:50, Adam D. Ruppe пишет:
On Wednesday, 19 November 2014 at 21:00:50 UTC, Ary Borenszweig wrote:
In Ruby `length` returns the number of unicode characters

What is a unicode character? Even in utf-32, one printed character might
be made up of two unicode code points. Or sometimes, two printed
characters might come from a single code point.

Perl goes for grapheme cluster as character. I'd say that's probably the closest thing to it.

Sadly being systems language we can't go so far as to create a per process table of cached graphemes, and then use index in that table as "character" ;)

--
Dmitry Olshansky