One interesting anecdote: somebody in a financial services company gave an account of giving D a try as a way to prototype something quickly, intending to rewrite it later in a more conventional language. The prototype went straight into production, and they are happy with it. The C interop was important for them to have made this possible.

It was interesting, because it is a serious company where people don't by any means have a hacker mentality, and it was one more point at variance with the "I am a java programmer but do all my personal projects in D" narrative, and also because this particular kind of company is exactly the sort of second wave early adopter one wants to have.

(I hope I represented this accurately, and tried to make this as vague as possible whilst still keeping it useful since people might not want the details of what they do being public).