On Wednesday, 25 March 2015 at 15:16:06 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
On Tue, 2015-03-24 at 23:37 +0000, Kingsley via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
On Saturday, 21 March 2015 at 15:57:54 UTC, Dan Olson wrote:
> "Kingsley" <kingsley.hendric...@gmail.com> writes:
> > > In preparation for the London D meetup I have got the > > DTanks robot > > battle framework into the first alpha release state - good > > enough to
> > use at the meetup anyway.

And an excellent framework it is too. I hope to be able to put some programming effort towards this to help make it even better. Actually I am wondering if we can put the framework skeleton to a constructive
rather than destructive purpose.

> > --K
> > DTanks looks cool! I am going to have to try it. Brings > back
> memories.
> > I got hooked on the Apple ][ version > (http://corewar.co.uk/robotwar/) > back in the 80's and started a version for the Amiga called > "Tonks" but > it never got off the drawing board. I've always loved this > game > concept. Even did a version to run each tank on a node of > an Intel
> Hypercube as a school project.

Cool - feel free to give me any feedback. At the London D programmers meetup we had a tank tournament which was great fun. Some of the guys who came had not done D before - they were Scala / Java guys - but really enjoyed playing with D by way of the tanks game.

Great fun was had by all there. Thanks to Kingsley for organizing this, and perhaps more importantly, getting the framework together.

An interesting point was made by some there: this looks very like Java
coding. Laeeth and I both agreed, saying that we felt Kingsley
background in Java was being reflected a little in the look and feel of the D code, that if a C++ programmer had written it most likely the code would have had a C++ feel to it. Much of this is about spacing, identifier structure and things like that – relatively trivial stuff in the main. The question us then is this fine ( that D code can have a Java or C++ feel) or should there always be a D feel to all D code?

There should be a video of the tournament emerging at some point from SkillsMatter who sponsor the meetup as they filmed it.

The video may not reflect quite as much of the fun that was had!

Here is the video: https://skillsmatter.com/skillscasts/6287-d-robot-tank-battle-tournament

the fun starts at 16:48