On 3/27/2015 2:47 PM, weaselcat wrote:
On Friday, 27 March 2015 at 20:58:44 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 3/27/2015 1:35 PM, weaselcat wrote:
there's a difference between minimalism and blatantly not adopting core advances
in language design over the past 40 years.

Yes, and there's also a difference between gratuitous complexity and finding
the underlying simplicity.

It's a tricky thing finding the sweet spot.

I don't disagree, but Go is definitely not in that sweet spot - it's crippled by
its benevolent dictators for the sake of being crippled.

I tried to program in Java, and found it went too far in the simplicity department. I haven't programmed in Go, but it has also gone too far for my taste. I just don't want to program that way anymore.

I am not going to claim that D has hit the sweet spot, either, but I'd rather err on the side of having the power I want.