On 3/31/15 1:19 AM, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
On Tuesday, 31 March 2015 at 02:05:05 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 3/30/15 12:29 AM, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
On Saturday, March 28, 2015 14:19:46 Walter Bright via
Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
Thank you. I need to learn std.algorithm better.

Don't we all. Part of the problem with std.algorithm is its power. It's
frequently the case that you think that something isn't there when it's
either there under a different name, or you just have to look at one
of its
functions from a different angle to use it for what you're trying to
do. It
wouldn't surprise me at all if folks who know it quite well get
surprised by
what it can do at least from time to time.

Then we need more examples and tutorials. -- Andrei

how are these to appear?

I've offered a number of times to write a slides-like tutorial if anyone wants to do the slides logic. Nobody came about. Probably nobody will, so I'll have to do it myself.

It's also disheartening that people in our community say "Except for one function, std.algorithm does not allocate memory", or "RefCounted works with classes, it just hasn't been implemented yet", however nobody actually fixes these things (not to mention "file reading by line is slow" which has been fixed after having been wrongly characterized as a fundamental cstdlib issue). This has been going on for YEARS. Only a handful of contributors actually do such work, a lot of which is trivial; everybody else seems content to just talk about it and wait for handouts.

We need to do better at empowering people.

Andrei

            • Re: G... weaselcat via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: G... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: G... Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: G... weaselcat via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: G... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: G... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: G... Paolo Invernizzi via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: G... Bienlein via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: G... Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: G... Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: G... Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: G... via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: G... ketmar via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: G... Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: G... Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: G... Panke via Digitalmars-d-announce
  • Re: Gary Willoughby: "... ketmar via Digitalmars-d-announce
  • Re: Gary Willoughby: "... deadalnix via Digitalmars-d-announce