On 2015-07-14 13:59:51 +0000, Jacob Carlborg <d...@me.com> said:

On 2015-07-14 03:11, Michel Fortin wrote:

More or less. If you define an `extern (Objective-C)` class in D (once
all my work is merged), you can use it and derive from it in Swift. If
you define an `@objc` class in Swift you can use it from Objective-C and
from D, but you can't derive from it.

Do you know why you can't derive from it?

I'm not sure. Apple's documentation says: "You cannot subclass a Swift class in Objective-C." I assume there could be a variety of reasons, such as more aggressive optimizations.

Note that the Swift ABI isn't stable yet. So the above might change at
some point.

But they need to follow the Objective-C ABI, for the @objc classes. I guess they technically can change the Objective-C ABI if they want to.

Actually, they only need to follow it up what they guaranty will work. If you debug some Swift code mixed with Objective-C, you'll notice that every call to a Swift method from Objective-C first passes through a thunk function (not dissimilar to my first D/Objective-C bridge made using D template mixins). Now, suppose you override this function from the Objective-C side, only the thunk gets overriden and Swift calles and Objective-C callers will no longer call the same function.

I haven't verified anything, but that's my theory.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.for...@michelf.ca