On Tuesday, 18 August 2015 at 06:52:47 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
What I don't like is perpetual being a class - too bad as it won't honor scoping and destructor may or may not be called. Just make it a struct.
Why do you think the destructor may not be called? It is, and it syncs memory and unmaps the file. Making perpetual a struct would require implementing reference counting or disabling copying, and all such staff. In my opinion, perpetual should definitely have reference semantics, this is exactly a point where D shines.

Also type should be Perputal, then perpetual is helper function that creates it then by means of IFTI type may be deduced. I suggest the following API:

// all parameters after file are either T itself
auto p = perpetual("file-name", 42);// would deduce T=int

// or args to T:
struct RGB{ int r,g,b; }
// if not in file use RGB(1,2,3)
auto p = perpetual!RGB("file-name", 1, 2, 3);
Right, just forgot. Will do, thanks.