On 09/24/2015 03:49 AM, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> On Thursday, 24 September 2015 at 00:08:18 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
>> The key to a low latency/high throughput GC is being able to
>> incrementally collect the heap. There is a very interesting paper that
>> uses the type system to perform incremental collections.
>>
>> http://forum.dlang.org/post/mcqr3s$cmf$1...@digitalmars.com
>
> I haven't read the paper, but how does this solve collecting things like
> strings, or other "leaf types" when you use separate compilation units?

We'd use runtime typeinfo.

> The easy thing to do is to use GC locally (like for a fiber) and use
> move semantics for moving objects from one locality to the other
> (between fibers).

Though it's challenging to efficiently manage all the GC structures for
a small scope. Doing this per thread is a proven technology (see
https://trello.com/c/K7HrSnwo/28-thread-cache-for-gc).
              • ... Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: Go 1.... jmh530 via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: ... Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... jmh530 via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Ola Fosheim Grostad via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Chris via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Johannes Pfau via Digitalmars-d-announce
  • Re: Go 1.5 Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: Go 1.5 Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-announce