On Tuesday, 10 November 2015 at 17:23:08 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
On 10/30/15 3:29 AM, Joakim wrote:

But I don't see how bitcoin is similar to any of those, perhaps you have _some_ explanation? You don't have to keep the bitcoin, all those sites will buy your bitcoin with dollars anytime you want. It's just an open way to trade value- in your case, just another payment/donation method- I don't see the issue. If it required setting up a bunch of software, sure, but those websites make it easy to set up, as they run the client
for you.

Begging the question, why not trade your bitcoin for dollars and buy it using those?

Simple, we're already invested in bitcoin: why waste money changing payment methods again, especially since it would be so easy for him to accept this new payment method? Also, perhaps you're not aware but the fees on bitcoin are much lower than dollar transactions (most of the time, as there are a few low-cost dollar options like direct dwolla transfers if both are on the same payment network), so even if he ultimately wants dollars, it would be much cheaper to send him bitcoin and then he can sell it for dollars anytime he wants.

However, I don't know about the others, but for me personally the fees are not the biggest reason. It's just that I'd like to try using bitcoin for such payments, as I believe such distributed crypto-currencies are the future, and surprisingly Ali is now the second person to refuse a bitcoin payment from me. I was able to pay my email host using bitcoin, but the other guy who refused cited some vague security/ponzi concerns.

I find it strange that people would refuse a donation because they don't like the currency used, even though it can be easily resold in an extremely liquid market, but, oh well, if they don't want my money, their loss. :)
  • "Programming in D&quo... Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: "Programming... Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: "Program... Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: "Pro... Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: "... Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: ... Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... deadalnix via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Rory McGuire via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... John Colvin via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... deadalnix via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... John Colvin via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: ... Namal via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-announce