On 12/3/2015 6:55 PM, David Nadlinger via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
On Friday, 4 December 2015 at 02:29:52 UTC, Brad Roberts wrote:
I'm glad that letsencrypt is out there doing the publicity, but
getting and using ssl certs has been free via startssl for several
years now.  What this new group is doing is the PR and marketing to
get people to do it, of course under their own umbrella rather than
another company's.

The free StartSSL thing was also nigh-unusable – when I gave it a try,
their in-browser CSR gen thing broke on whatever recent version of
Firefox I was using, which left me with no cert, but them claiming I had
exhausted their offer. They also have this weird thing where they offer
"one host name plus domain" only, and charge users for revoking their
cert (!).

  — David

Interesting.. I've never had any problems, though I've never needed to revoke a cert.