How does the performance of ION compare with Protocol Buffers (https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/?hl=en) and Apache Thrift ( https://thrift.apache.org/)?

Oh - one final thing:

If you *really* want speed you should not parse ION into objects before using the data. Since ION is self describing, you can just navigate through it and find the data you need, and ignore the rest.

This should be faster than first parsing the data into objects first. Especially if you parse an array of objects which may end up scattered all over the heap, and thus lead to cache misses. Accessing these objects directly in the message buffer might save you both the ION-to-object parse time, plus it might play better with the L1, L2 and L3 caches.

We have not yet benchmarked this, but we will within long. In this mode I expect the read+use time to be faster than Google Protocol Buffers.