On Monday, 28 December 2015 at 01:17:15 UTC, Dan Olson wrote:
A little progress report. More to come later when I get something pushed to github.

I bought a returned Apple Watch yesterday at discount for $223.99 US and tried to see how much of D would work on it using my iOS fork of LDC. There were a few bumps, like dealing with embedded bitcode (a watchOS requirement). After 4-hours of baby steps, little D programs with incremental druntime support, I was able to download a huge watch app extension with all druntime and phobos unittests and run most of them alphabetically. Everything zipped along fine, only a std.math error, then mysteriously a exit after running std.parallelism test a long time. It was late for me so decided that was enough progress.

This means all of druntime worked and probably most of phobos.

The Apple Watch uses a new chip with armv7k, a different ABI, and different exception handling than iOS, so kinda surprised it worked as well as it did. Of course much thanks goes to LLVM with recently added watchOS, tvOS support, and all the LDC contributors that have kept master building with the latest 3.8 LLVM.

Heh, nice, thanks for keeping us up to date.

I don't understand how the bitcode requirement works on your own device: I thought that was for an Apple-submitted app that they then compiled to binary themselves? Do you have to go through the same process even for test apps, ie no sideloading? Or does the device itself take bitcode?

btw, Dan's iOS/tvOS/watchOS work will require these dmd/druntime github pulls to be reviewed and merged: