On Saturday, 30 January 2016 at 17:58:23 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 2016-01-30 18:33, barberian wrote:

Yes, in fact the ebook it's expensive in this case, and where I live we "unfortunately" need to convert the pound multiplying by 6, ouch!

How can two things be cheaper than one? It doesn't add up. Is there a mistake?

Many publishers want to disincentivize ebook sales while artificially pushing up print sales, that's probably why. Part of it is that they already have money invested in printing presses and the like, so they don't want that investment demolished by everyone buying ebooks. Another piece is that they may feel, rightly or wrongly, that they don't have much to contribute to ebook sales, so they use such weird pricing to try and suppress pure ebook sales alone, because someday they will go out of business if they just sell ebooks.

Strictly speaking, it is irrational, or at the very least too skewed towards dying technology and business models. But then people do dumb things all the time, especially those whose business is heading for obsolescence. :)