On Saturday, 16 April 2016 at 09:48:01 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
[..]
As for further dub stuff, it is important that https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dub/issues/811 is addressed, so we can build software using dub without downloading stuff from the internet. Btw, since D doesn't know traditional headers like C/C++, how would I link against a library without having the full sourcecode present somewhere?

Is there anything wrong -- in principle -- with (for now) treating open-source D libraries much like the various Boost C++ libraries, which AFAICT are almost entirely header-based?

It's a bit ugly, because we are essentially embedding code copies into every binary, instead of having a proper shared library stuff can link to (and we also need to recompile everything again). Aside from that, there is no real issue - Debian policy allows doing that, and in fact, this is the thing I am currently attempting to do to work around the ABI issues.

I ask because so far as I can tell that would work around the immediate problems of compiler incompatibilities, it would not add any extra work compiler-wise that's not already there with dub's current way of doing things, and for template-heavy D code (which is quite a lot of code), it makes no difference, since that would have to be available in .d or .di files anyway.

Jup - what dub would still need to do though is to find the globally installed software, so we don't need to patch each dub.(json|sdl) file to find the code which was installed via distro packages. At time, I install the D code into `/usr/include/d/<package>`[1] where dub could theoretically automatically find it.

[1]: Probably not the best location since this isn't actually a header... (alternative could be `/usr/share/dlang/`)
              • ... Jordi Sayol via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: Official d... Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: Offici... Matthias Klumpp via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: Of... Matthias Klumpp via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • R... Johannes Pfau via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Matthias Klumpp via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Johannes Pfau via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Matthias Klumpp via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • R... Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Matthias Klumpp via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: Offici... Matthias Klumpp via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: Of... Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • R... Matthias Klumpp via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Matthias Klumpp via Digitalmars-d-announce
  • Re: Official dub packag... jmh530 via Digitalmars-d-announce