On Sunday, 17 April 2016 at 11:10:29 UTC, Antonio Corbi wrote:

Just read this post from Matthias Klumpp (http://blog.tenstral.net/2016/04/introducing-appstream-generator.html) in planet.debian.net where he talks about replacing the current appstream metadata generator written in python (dep11-generator).

He talks about considering Go, Rust and D for this task, and why He finally chose D. It's very short and very enlightening, worth a reading!

Hope you like it!
Sorry if this has been posted before.

From the blog post:
"And while I never intended to write the new generator in D (I was pretty fixated on Go…), this is what happened. The strong points for D for this particular project were its close relation to C (and ease of using existing C code), its super-flat learning curve for someone who knows and likes C and C++ and its pretty powerful implementations of the concurrent and parallel programming paradigms."

That's pretty cool - and interesting.