On Sunday, 24 July 2016 at 19:36:50 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
How much of compile-time overhead does it add compared to naive string concatenation?

I would expect fairly large, It only increases the amount of memory used and concatenation operations. It stores each requested string into array of structures, that later are used for concatenating together.

I don't have any performance numbers, nor do I have a large amount of code generation to try and tax compile-time work. I ran ProtocolBuffer with -profile and it should the call to finalize(), ~9000 microseconds per call (runtime).

I'd be happy to accept performance improvements (including breaking changes), but if you've already got long compile times due to CTFE I can't recommend using it.