On 8/31/16 5:56 AM, Johan Engelen wrote:
On Tuesday, 30 August 2016 at 23:54:45 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:

Allowing access to private members has a lot of implications, e.g.
breaks lots of optimizations b/c you can't know who accesses sth.

"lots of optimizations"
Can you mention a few?

I'm not sure optimizations are had by private variables. Some optimizations can be had because the compiler can prove a variable could not have been changed. But I don't know that private suits that need, it's more due to const or immutable.

(I can only think of complicated stuff that requires pretty much
whole-program analysis to prove validity, and in that case adding
`private` doesn't help any more)

Where I see private helping is conceptual -- I know that if a variable is private, I can narrow to a given module all the places the variable might be read or written. If you just allow private access via anywhere, it defeats that analysis.

-Steve