On Thursday, 10 November 2016 at 10:30:36 UTC, qznc wrote:
On Thursday, 10 November 2016 at 00:56:02 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
https://www.auburnsounds.com/blog/2016-11-10_Running-D-without-its-runtime.html

"Our products now run with the D language runtime disabled. This post is both a post-mortem and tutorial on how to live without the D runtime. "

For runtime users the good news is that speed is already fine. :)

The hacks you needed to go through are ugly. Any ideas how this could be improved?

Barely.

I'm not wise enough to know what this would imply. In my uninformed opinion, making attribute inference work on destroy() and making class destructors "nothrow @nogc" would go a long way. As it is, doing D without the runtime isolates you in a tiny universe.

About exceptions, if we modify Throwable to have a "release()" virtual function called (or better own an allocator?), then we could have the caller catch exception regardless of how they are allocated.