On Monday, 28 November 2016 at 02:38:00 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
DIP 1004 is merged to the queue and open for public informal feedback.

PR: https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/pull/42

Initial merged document: https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/DIPs/DIP1004.md

If you want the change to be approved and have ideas how to improve it to better match on https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/GUIDELINES.md and existing published reviews - please submit new PR with editorial and ping original author.

I think I might be a bit late to the party, and I'm still quite new in D... but wouldn't a variadic template constructor work? The usual rules of templates would still let you override a constructor if needed.

---
class A {
        this() { }
        this(int a) { }
}
class B : A {
        // Here we inherit all of A's constructors.
        this(Args...)(Args args) {
                super(args);
        }
        this(string s) { }
}
void main() {
        B b1 = new B(42);
        B b2 = new B("foo");
}
---

I've been playing with it, and the only problems I can see are with specialization and casting (i.e. B defines this(float), but you want to call A's this(int), the int will be promoted to float and B's version will be used). A way of disabling them would be needed, though... perhaps assert(0)?