On 4/9/17 4:56 AM, Atila Neves wrote:
Using std.experimental.allocator? Tired of writing `scope(exit) allocator.dispose(foo);` in a language with RAII? Me too:

http://code.dlang.org/packages/automem

Example:

I think the code in the README should be enough to understand what's going on. Alpha stuff here but I think the main things missing are weak pointers and a ref counted array. Given that I've never had to use std::weak_ptr in C++, I'm not in a hurry to implement the former.

Nice work!

Notable design decisions / features:

. The smart pointers are responsible for allocating the memory for the container object using the allocator of choice. This is to guarantee that one can't allocate and deallocate using different allocators.

Nice!

. The allocator has to be specified as part of the type: this means the user can choose how to store it in the smart pointer, which for singletons (e.g. Mallocator) or stateless allocators means they can take up zero space. If a singleton (or the default theAllocator), the allocator doesn't need to be passed in to the constructor, otherwise it does. Specifying, e.g. Mallocator also means the relevant code can be marked @nogc.

After extensively studying how C++ allocator framework works, I got to the notion that making the allocator part of the type is an antipattern.

. RefCounted only increments/decrements the ref count atomically if the contained type is `shared`

Great. Can RefCounted itself be shared? I learned this is important for composition, i.e. you want to make a RefCounted a field in another object that is itself shared, immutable etc.

. RefCounted!(shared T) can be sent to other threads.

Awes.

. UniqueArray behaves nearly like a normal array. You can even append to it, but it won't use GC memory (unless, of course, you chose to use GCAllocator)!

This may be a great candidate for the standard library.

Andrei