On Tuesday, 11 April 2017 at 06:08:16 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
I have to say it took me a very long time to come up with the title and the abstract. How could I sell D to C++ experts? Luckily, I asked Manu and among a long list of ideas he said "it's about saving time" and "time is money". How can you argue with that? ;)
I do agree, but C++ people may be less open to buy the whole package at once... The other speakers (Rust, Haskell) will talk about specific things that they regard as nicer in their languages compared to C++ (safe memory access, concurrency in Rust; side effect safety in Haskell). C++ users can more easily agree to these individual points and later become interested in the other languages.
It's true that D's paradigm is less different from C++ and it's more about being better designed and safer as a whole. It's like, sure you can write 80% of D programs in C++ with only twice the typing at most, as long as your compiler supports C++14 at least, and you're super careful with memory... but you'll still be driven insane by the remaining 20% ;)