On Monday, 15 May 2017 at 14:31:20 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
I'm glad this sparks interest in improving the error message display, this is good.

I've been meaning to do this for years... I want overload resolution and template constraints to tell which conditions were passed, failed, and short-circuited. Colorizing them in the output (green for pass, red for fail, default for short-circuited, for example) is one of the candidates ideas I have for concisely displaying that information to the user.

Problem is just that the compiler discards those details before it gets to the error message display and keeping it up the call chain is non-trivial (or did, last time I tried to implement it).

One thing I have noticed while doing this is how unhelpful many of the error messages are.

Indeed, D's error messages are awful and I'd prefer we all spend time improving this more than anything else: make overload and constraint messages readable. Make size errors tell index and length in all cases (compile and runtime). Make inferred attribute errors tell you where and why the inferrence didn't match expectations.

And yes, I've written about all this in bugzilla already.