On 5/24/2017 3:56 PM, Jon Degenhardt wrote:
Its not easy writing an article that doesn't draw some form of criticism. FWIW, the reason I gave a Python example is because it is very commonly used for this type of problem and the language is well suited to it. A second reason is that I've seen several posts where someone has tried to rewrite a Python program like this in D, start with `split`, and wonder how to make it faster. My hope is that this will clarify how to achieve this.

Another goal of the article was to describe how performance in the TSV Utilities had been achieved. The article is not about the TSV Utilities, but discussing both the benchmark results and how they had been achieved would be a very long article.

Any time one writes an article comparing speed between languages X and Y, someone gets their ox gored and will bitterly complain about how unfair the article is (though I noticed that none of the complainers wrote a faster Python version). Even if you tried to optimize the Python program, you'll be inevitably accused of deliberately not doing it right.

The nadir of this for me was when I compared Digital Mars C++ code with DMD. Both share the same optimizer and back end, yet I was accused of "sabotaging" my own C++ compiler in order to make D look better !! Me, I just don't do public comparison benchmarking anymore. It's a waste of time arguing with people about it.

I thought you wrote a fine article, and the criticism about the Python code was unwarranted (especially since nobody suggested better code), because the article was about optimizing D code, not optimizing Python.
  • Faster Command Line ... Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: Faster Comm... cym13 via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: Faster Comm... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: Faster ... cym13 via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: Fas... Jon Degenhardt via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re:... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • ... Jon Degenhardt via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Wulfklaue via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Suliman via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... cym13 via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: Fas... Jack Stouffer via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: Faster Comm... xtreak via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: Faster ... Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via Digitalmars-d-announce