On Monday, 11 September 2017 at 14:49:44 UTC, kinke wrote:

There's a difference between "doesn't compile" and "asserts".
Please always compare to the matching DMD version, 2.074.1 in this case, which produces an empty string as well, I guess because the writer was taken by value in Phobos 2.074.1.

Fair point on the DMD versioning. I think I was only using the most recent DMD. I had thought this capability was added in 2.074.0 when the CT string feature was added, but the changelogs only reference formattedRead, not formattedWrite.

I don't know when it was actually added.