On Friday, 20 October 2017 at 20:41:24 UTC, Nordlöw wrote:
Ever since I first tried programming in VHDL and realized that it, at that time, was far too unproductive for my taste, I've been waiting for the software and FPGA programming models to unite...

What kinds of simplifications (over OpenCL) can and will DCompute offer in this regard?

I don't know. It is an interesting development, but I've got a feeling that you have to address the hardware very specifically to get worthwhile performance. My gut feeling is that abstractions would be a bad idea…

So maybe this will be best suited for very narrow domains where you can rely on third party libraries (e.g. statistical signal processing and other fields) or narrow applications that can afford to tune very carefully to the underlying hardware.