On Monday, 27 November 2017 at 11:26:51 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo wrote:
On Sunday, 26 November 2017 at 10:15:05 UTC, Manuel Maier wrote:
On Monday, 30 October 2017 at 22:22:42 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo wrote:
[...] Unlike linters that are based on DScanner, it actually invokes dmd on the file that is being edited, as you edit. [...]

I just tried the plugin and it seems to work very well! Thanks for the good work.

Thanks.

Have you considered invoking dub instead of dmd if there's a dub.json/.sdl file? I imagine when people use "preBuildCommands" to generate code, for example, the linter might report false positives. Same goes for custom D versions (e.g. `version(Have_foo) { ... }`).

No I haven't considered using dub. Does dub allow the processing of a single file from the project without generating code? Note that you don't want to build the whole project upon every activation of the linter, because of speed but also because of errors that do not apply to the file in the current view.

Not sure about that, would need some investigating. From what I can tell, dub docs have improved quite a bit in the past year.

There's also the --single feature of dub: https://code.dlang.org/advanced_usage Such files may not work correctly with this linter at this time I presume.

I don't see why not?

Sorry, let me rephrase. What I meant is that, with dub, you can add dependencies (e.g. some http library) and define D versions. So even tho it's only a single file, the invocation of dmd alone is not sufficient to understand the code completely. I guess it would be most useful if I created some test cases and documented them.

All in all they way this plugin works is a great idea! The more it knows about the full commandline of the resulting dmd invocation, the more accurate it is.

If you have a case where it isn't sufficient, I am interested to see how it can be improved. You can experiment with it as explained here: https://forum.dlang.org/post/zugbovfvfviapcjqd...@forum.dlang.org

Haven't experimented with it yet so it's all just speculation so far. I'm quite interested in a dub linter. As far as I can tell from a first glance at your plugin code, it doesn't seem too complicated. I think I will investigate whether dub is suitable for this endeavor and implement that aspect of the plugin myself. If I have enough time in the coming days, of course. Will keep you posted!