On Thursday, 20 July 2017 at 12:10:14 UTC, Adrian Matoga wrote:
On Thursday, 20 July 2017 at 07:19:03 UTC, Patrick Schluter wrote:
version 2.067 that still had the C++ frontend took more than 100 seconds.

I can hardly believe it. I remember versions 2.05x building in about 11 seconds.

My times were all single threaded. Comparing parallel builds on a shared server with varying loads is kind of pointless as the build are all over the place and can not be used to draw some conclusion. Furthermore, I avoid parallel builds as there are often problems with them. My first build of clang+llvm that I had done with -j option was a catastrophe, it grabbed all the cpus and hogged the machine for a long time and failed to build properly. Only when limiting to -j 4 was I able to build it and even then it took a little less than an hour. The nice thing with dmd is that you can build it gently in single task and it doesn't take you a whole morning to get it set up.

PS: The environment we work on at work are very restricted for security reasons, this means that the servers are built from standard images provided by IT and any piece of software that we want to install has to be built from source. The standard image has gcc 4.4.7 installed, has no graphic libraries (X or whatever). Even git has to be built from source.
  • Release D 2.075.0 Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: Release D 2.07... Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: Release D ... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: Release D ... Patrick Schluter via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: Releas... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: Releas... Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: Re... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: Releas... Adrian Matoga via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: Re... Patrick Schluter via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • R... Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: Re... Patrick Schluter via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: Releas... Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: Re... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • R... Moritz Maxeiner via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Moritz Maxeiner via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • R... Dmitry Olshansky via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Brad Roberts via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: Release D 2.07... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: Release D 2.07... Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d-announce