On Tuesday, 30 January 2018 at 19:57:39 UTC, aberba wrote:
On Tuesday, 30 January 2018 at 18:30:56 UTC, Johan Engelen wrote:
On Tuesday, 30 January 2018 at 09:38:26 UTC, aberba wrote:
On Monday, 29 January 2018 at 07:40:10 UTC, Dominikus Dittes Scherkl wrote:
On Saturday, 27 January 2018 at 21:42:49 UTC, aberba wrote:
[...] Ubuntu 16.04
This is a long-term support distribution.
Don't expect those to have actual tip versions of any SW package! They rely on stabe versions that don't have the latest features
but only those very well tested.

The semver 1.7 is not an unstable package. Its that their reason for no updates?

LDC 1.7.0 includes major changes to the frontend and is not well-tested. If you want a better-tested recent LDC, I recommend LDC 1.6.0, which is used in production at Weka.

- Johan

I expected at least 1.6 to be available in the repo by now. I remember the availability of LDC in ubuntu was celebrated here...now it seem abandoned after such an effort. Maybe someone from the team can answer what happened.

1.6 is in Debian - as other explained before Debian is __very__ focused on stability.

https://packages.debian.org/sid/ldc ("Unstable" - 1.6)
https://packages.debian.org/buster/ldc (Debian 9 - 1.5)
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/ldc (Debian 8 - 1.0)

Ubuntu usually lags one version behind Debian packages:

https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/ldc ("Unstable" - 1.5)
https://packages.ubuntu.com/artful/ldc (17.10 - 1.4)

If you want to have the latest D compiler on Debian/Ubuntu, you have these options:

- use d-apt (d-apt.sourceforge.net)
- use the official install script (https://dlang.org/install.html)
- install the official deb package yourself (https://dlang.org/download.html)
- use a different distro

This is not something that can __ever__ be fixed. It's the fundamental way Debian's packaging and release cycle work.
  • Re: LDC 1.7.0 aberba via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: LDC 1.7.0 aberba via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: LDC 1.7.0 Dominikus Dittes Scherkl via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: LDC 1... aberba via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: L... Dominikus Dittes Scherkl via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • ... Dominikus Dittes Scherkl via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: L... Johan Engelen via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • ... aberba via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Kagamin via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... aberba via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Seb via Digitalmars-d-announce