On Friday, 23 February 2018 at 00:05:59 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:

Unfortunately it's a bit hard to find arguments in the discussion below, would have been cool if there were a few well argumented comments instead dozens of +1s.

- this grammar is ambiguous

Isn't that an argument?

It has always been in various ways and that's annoying to learn when you first deal with D. Personally I find it even more annoying that you can mix imports and selective imports, but only in a very specific exception.

- why not X instead

Aren't alternative ideas welcome?

Go for it and try to find a consensus. I don't think the issue is big enough to warrant a huge design and bikeshedding discussion.

Some don't agree with you.

That's your opinion, my opinion is that importing 6 symbols from 6 different modules for a tiny cli tool sucks and bloats code example.

That's your opinion.

Indeed an alternative with a similar goal, reducing the amount of typing/noise for hacking.

You seem overly eager to save some typing, and the expense of comprehension. I don't get it. That's what bring programming languages into disrepute.

- why hasn't this been a DIP

Because it looked primarily like a minor grammar rectification that doesn't break anything and is entirely optional.

Also DIPs are a crucial process for our language, and it seems problematic to clog it with trivialities.

This doesn't seem that trivial based on the discussion.

----

On the other side please note that:

- you don't have to use it
- it will unlikely land in phobos' style-guide
- it's useful for talks, posts, code puzzles or on a repl where code is size constrained
- there is no ambiguity or chance for bugs
- practical examples of this usage are hardly confusing

  import std.stdio : writeln, std.algorithm : find;

Seriously? You came up with the simplest example to demonstrate you're argument?

- remember that some people use `import mod1, mod2, mod3, mod4;` at least sometimes while others
  prefer each import on it's own line
- imports are mostly for tooling, less for humans

That's your opinion. I happen to think that imports help people discover where stuff resides. I've learnt a lot from looking at imports used.

  - many java editors collapse the import manifest at the top
- a lot of languages have an import std.* operator or auto-imports

That's why nobody know where anything is in the their library.

And last but not least, the simpler the topic the more opinions, so please refrain from "I don't like it, +1" and leave space for actual arguments.

Again, go back and read this thread properly, and don't be so dismissive of the concerns people have expressed.