On Friday, 23 February 2018 at 01:57:37 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
On Thursday, 22 February 2018 at 11:15:35 UTC, psychoticRabbit wrote:
import std.rabbit [food, water], std.house, std.family [carer];

What about the million lines of existing code using

import std.stdio : writeln, writefln;

I actually like selective importing like that.

It tells me, the programmer was only interested in writeln and writefln from that module. It provides clarity of intention, as well as instructing new comers what modules contain, and where to find them.

Selective importing is a great tool for new comers to become familiar with the library - and lets be honest - it's all about the libraries these days - so the more one knows about them, the better they'll be utilised.

Also, D is pretty good a depracating stuff, so why not deprecate the current way of imports, and gradually move to something (that resolves issues):

e.g.

import std.stdio, std.whatever[this, that], std.somethingelse, std.grr[wtf];

I actually really like that syntax. It's really efficient for my brain to process.