On Friday, 23 February 2018 at 01:53:45 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
On Friday, 23 February 2018 at 01:16:24 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
I can sympathize with wanting to avoid bikeshedding, but almost no one who has posted thinks that this is a good idea.

This was meant for the discussion of a new syntax for selective imports like `import mod : { sym1, sym2 }` which seems like too much churn to be worthwhile.

import mod : { sym1, sym2 }

thats not nice syntax - for these reasons:

first, why is the : needed? {} is enough to enscapsulate the intention.

second, why are using {} instead of []

[] would allow me to think of selective importing, as though I were importing an array of selections.

e.g:
import std.stdio, std.whatever[this, that], std.somethingelse, std.grr[wtf];

so using [] would be consistent with using array like syntax elsewhere in D, and would require no additional effort to think about.