On Monday, 5 March 2018 at 10:57:35 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
Here's something I wrote up on const:

http://jmdavisprog.com/articles/why-const-sucks.html

I suppose that it's not exactly the most positive article, but I feel that it's accurate.

- Jonathan M Davis

Spot on article, and touches some of my pain points when working with const/immutable structs.

Recently I tried to create a ref-counted immutable struct, oh boi...

This later use case is of tremendous value for safe concurrent code that's @nogc. Unfortunately I couldn't find a way to make it work efficiently and in the same time not look like a disgusting hack.

I suspect a possible solution is to allow immutable(const) postblit overloads as well as immutable dtors that will act as an escape hatch for unsafe work and in the same time provide hints that you are operating on an immutable(const) this.