On Tuesday, 13 March 2018 at 15:35:02 UTC, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
Unfortunately, we ship both - while Debian packages only use the shared libraries, and we want the shared libraries to be default, we also want to make the static ones available for people who want to opt into that for software they build.

Glad to hear that.

I wonder if we could suffix the static libraries instead and whether that would cause any problems...

Well, it certainly isn't trivial as it may sound, primarily due to the CMake script complexity (and tedious testing with many CMake configurations), so don't count on me adding that feature in the near future. ;)