However, this example *does* show the power of iopipe -- it handles all flavors of unicode with one template function, is quite straightforward (though I want to abstract the line tracking code, that stuff is really tricky to get right). Oh, and it's roughly 10x faster than grep, and a bunch faster than fgrep, at least on my machine ;) I'm tempted to add regex processing to see if it still beats grep.

Shameful note: Macos grep is BSD grep, and is not NEARLY as fast as GNU grep, which has much better performance (and is 2x as fast as iopipe_search on my Linux VM, even when printing line numbers).

So at least there is something to strive for :)

More testing reveals that as I increase the context lines to print, iopipe performs better than GNU grep. A shocking thing is that at 9 lines of context, grep goes up slightly, but all of a sudden at 10 lines of context, it doubles in the time taken (and is now slower than the iopipe_search).

Also noting: my Linux VM does not have ldc, so these are dmd numbers.

-Steve