On Saturday, 4 August 2018 at 09:43:13 UTC, Dukc wrote:
On Saturday, 4 August 2018 at 02:39:23 UTC, Mike Franklin wrote:

Cool! Can we now deprecate and eventually jettison C/C++ bindings from druntime, please?

Why?

The C standard library not a true and intrinsic dependency of D, and is outside of D's charter. There are druntime implementations that leverage the C standard library, but I believe that was largely done for expediency. If one wants to leverage the C standard library for a certain druntime implementation, that's fine, but it should be privately imported.

D is a much more capable programming language than C, and whatever functionality is being imported from the C standard library can be better implemented in D with compile-time optimizations via templates, memory safety, and other benefits.

Mike