On Wednesday, 26 December 2018 at 11:26:52 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
Went to bike there for 9 days (800km), to arrive the day before DConf.
Munich was a beautiful city but Switzerland was very graphic.
Friends jokingly said it was a D pilgrimage and it was, kind of :)

You could still have done that if the conference format was altered to increase in-person interaction!

Putting a face on people you've known from the internet is really surprising.

You would get MORE of that if the conference format was altered to increase in-person interaction.

Keep in mind that what I want to do is to tweak dconf, not to kill it. Change from 50 minute talk to 30 minute talk + 20 minute interaction, in at least some cases.

Or it might be fun to reconfigure a day: have all the day's speakers do 15 minute initial talks and pass out "learn more" links. Then we have a *two hour* lunch/mingling break which gives everyone a chance to digest the morning's information, look into the learn more stuff, form ad-hoc study groups, etc.

Then, after lunch, the speakers return for follow up stuff. Talk part 2, public Q&A, whatever, using the remaining 25 mins each of their time.

I'm open to a lot of ideas... I just want to spend more of the in-hours time doing in-person interaction.

My only regret was not sleeping at the hotel since you don't get as many occasions to meet people in a beer settings.

And again, a huge point I have been trying to make is we could get MORE of that if we tweaked the format!

Most everyone cites their favorite and most productive part of in-person meetings are actually the after hours stuff. (I hear this both from dconf and my day job - this is part of why it hits me so much, but the day job has been doing some tweaks this last year, to great success - I *know* these changes are for the better.)

So why not take some of the after-hours wins into the main event?

Going backwards to this:

The talks were honestly all interesting, probably being there puts you in the mood to really get into them.

Well, wouldn't it be fun to be able to talk about them or work with the ideas more in person?!

With my compromise proposals, you'd still get much of the same talk... just use a fraction of the remaining time to interact with everyone and their code directly.
              • ... Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Nicholas Wilson via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Guillaume Piolat via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... viniarck via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Basile B. via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: DConf... Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: DConf... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: DConf 2019: Sheph... Dejan Lekic via Digitalmars-d-announce
  • Re: DConf 2019: Shepherd's... Robert M. Münch via Digitalmars-d-announce