On Wednesday, 23 January 2019 at 12:26:02 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:

Also as an FYI, Rust has had significant marketing effort put into it. Consider its home page, it tells a story to get you into developing code fast. D's doesn't. It is much better and I think it might be time to have a complete rethink of D's because the last redesign wasn't all that different to what it was prior.

I've made this comparison many times before, but I'll do it again...

Look at what Rust offers as documentation for Cargo:
https://doc.rust-lang.org/cargo/index.html

This is what you get with Dub:
https://dub.pm/getting_started

One is professional documentation, the other was something hacked together by a sixth grader over the weekend. The Dub documentation is good through the part demonstrating `dub init`, then it falls apart. It talks about two configuration file formats - not one, but two ("use whichever you prefer") and I have no idea there is even a discussion of configuration file formats at that point. Then there's a link to this word dump https://dub.pm/package-format-json.html.

Noticeably absent: how I'm supposed to *use* Dub. Where do I put my source files? How do I add dependencies? Have you ever heard of an example?

Then a little below that is a link to this page: https://dub.pm/publish.html. I wonder what that is for. Can't make heads or tails out of that.

This is *introduction to the language*. If someone sees that and doesn't run away, there's something wrong. I most definitely would have gone with Rust if it had been usable when I started using D. The Dub documentation makes it really hard to bring in users - and makes Rust look like a sane language in comparison.