On Sunday, 12 May 2019 at 10:58:49 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Rejected D Improvement Proposals on small matters that D language's leader thinks strongly about should allow everybody to move on to larger, better things.

We are unable to, and should not be required to, provide argumentation when making a decision on a DIP that will be to the satisfaction of everybody involved.

No no no, no. No.

You have rejected the DIP to the annoyance of the community, That is fine. You have a decision making process.

However in this case the community consensus is that the chain of reasoning you have used to arrive at your decision is wrong.

Of course, pressure does exist on making the right decision and on framing it properly;

Indeed, you should be making the right decisions _ for the right reasons_. I note that this is uncorrelated with wether or not we want the feature, c.f. refcounting before we had copy constructors (wanted it but couldn't have it because memory safety reasons) and opPostMove (didn't want to have to have it but e.g. couldn't interface with GCC's std::string).

otherwise, one poor decision after another, we end up with a bad language that people will not want to use.

Yes, but for the completely opposite reason. If the community believe the reasoning you provide for the decision you have made is wrong then we will end up with a language we not as satisfied with.

[Because reasons] that all is wasted time.

There's a bunch of big rocks to move.

Jut because we have a bunch of other large problems does not mean that we shouldn't be fixing other problems in the language that you happen to disagree with.

        • Re: bool (was... Kagamin via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: bool ... Mike Franklin via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: ... Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: ... Mike Franklin via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: ... Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: ... Mike Franklin via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: ... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: ... Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: bool (was DCo... Isaac S. via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: bool (was... Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: bool ... Nicholas Wilson via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: ... Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: ... Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: ... Jon Degenhardt via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: ... Nicholas Wilson via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: ... Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: bool ... Exil via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: ... Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: bool (was... Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: bool (was DCo... FeepingCreature via Digitalmars-d-announce
  • Re: bool (was DConf 2019 A... Mike Franklin via Digitalmars-d-announce