On Monday, 4 May 2020 at 17:01:01 UTC, Robert M. Münch wrote:

I believe this is an excellent initiative, thank you for starting it!

Perhaps this script, along with repository that is part of can help those wishing to update std.uni to the latest version: https://github.com/DmitryOlshansky/gsoc-bench-2012/blob/master/gen_uni.d

With regard to the rate of pull requests being merged into the core repositories, I would say that it is highly contextually dependent. I strongly advise either:

a) subscribing for notifications from the core dlang repositories
(dmd, druntime, phobos, dub, etc.) for an extended period of time (3 months min) - you'll be able to observe the group dynamics (e.g. which contributors have experience with which part of the codebase, why some things are merged quickly
     and others take a while, etc.)
   - this way you can really draw conclusions for yourself

(b) looking at the statistics:
  - https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pulse/monthly
  - https://github.com/dlang/druntime/pulse/monthly
  - https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pulse/monthly
  - https://github.com/dlang/dub/pulse/monthly

as opposed to drawing conclusions from single data points of anecdotal evidence.

From my several years of experience, I can say the following:
- small, less complex pull requests are generally easy to get merged

- it depends on the part of the codebase - if you open a pull request for a part whose maintainers are currently active, you can expect a speedy review. If it's a part (e.g. std.regex) that is both highly complex and with a small number of maintainers, then it may take a while)

- teamwork and communication - since all of us are living in different time zones, rather than working in the same office, you should be prepared that communication (which is a prerequisite of merging) will be with high-latency. Changes that are described well, for which the benefit is clear and doesn't look like they may introduce regressions are of course received well. Discussion prior to opening a merge request can help to guide the implementation in the right direction and save time later in the review process.

Many contributors are active on the dlang Slack [1] which makes it a good place to ping people for feedback, or just to have a near real-time conversation. In the past 1-3 years, I have noticed a trend that many active contributors are mostly active on GitHub and Slack, rather than the newsgroup. If you see that pull request has fallen through the cracks (no new replies from maintainers), don't hesitate to ping us either there or here on the newsgroup.

[1]: https://dlang.slack.com/