On 5/21/20 7:49 PM, Bruce Carneal wrote:
On Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 16:32:32 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
On Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 16:14:02 UTC, Seb wrote:
Why we can't we have a technical board where the community can vote in experts and potentially companies could even buy a seat for $$$ which would mean a lot more for them than the current very vague sponsorship options.

ditto, I think we should have like a seven person elected DIP committee who pass/fail things by majority vote. It is obvious to me that the current process is totally useless.

As noted earlier, I'm with Steve, Seb, Adam, and "everyone but Walter" as far as I can see.  If this stands we'll have gone from @safe meaning "the compiler is responsible" to "the compiler can't guarantee anything unless you're pure D all the way down".

Atila, what's your take on all this?  Is it fork time?

A fork does exist. As expected it went nowhere. https://bitbucket.org/larsivi/amber/wiki/Home. There is a paradox about forking the language - anyone good enough to lead a successful fork would also be wise enough to work on the D language instead.

A committee would work if the community were at least one order of magnitude larger. It's just big numbers. Walter is world-class, another way of saying there's only a few of comparable strength in the world. A larger community would mean a larger likelihood of there being other people of comparable strength in it. Those could form a committee. As things are, Walter is so much stronger than every one of us, the relationship is highly asymmetric. His strength comes with equally unique ability to explain and debate, which makes many of the discussions in forums very frustrating.