On Saturday, 27 June 2020 at 03:27:14 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
On Friday, 26 June 2020 at 14:02:14 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
But if you do want to vote, I'd like your vote to count.

I've seen no evidence that this strategy actually works. Appears totally random if a D post sticks around or not. And in a great many of these posts, people complain that they can't find the post at all which definitely doesn't help anything.

I haven't seen anyone complaining they can't find the posts, just that I don't provide the links.

It's three steps (two on a 4k monitor):

1. Go to https://news.ycombinator.com
2. Hit the 'End' key to get to the search box at the bottom of the page
3. Enter all or part of the blog post title in the search box

After that, it's in the browser history. I have never not been able to find the post doing this.

Are you sure it is worth it?

Like I said above, there are other factors that determine a post's success on HN and it's always hit or miss. So far, I haven't been able to turn up any foolproof advice. But those who have attempted to crack the secret all say that if people are following direct links, it will definitely hinder the post's performance and a miss is pretty much guaranteed. The FAQ says clearly:

"Can I ask people to upvote my submission?

No. Users should vote for a story because they personally find it intellectually interesting, not because someone has content to promote.

HN's software penalizes submissions, accounts, and sites that break this rule, so please don't."

Obviously, HN isn't going to scrape referring sites to check for people explicitly asking for upvotes. We know for certain that direct links disqualify upvotes, there's evidence to suggest that they account for indirect hits to a post from direct links to other parts of the site, and I can't find any information on if any of this is factored into the ranking algorithm in another way.

So yes, if people from this community want to monitor the comments on a HN site, I think it's worth it to ask them to take a couple of extra steps to do so in the interest of avoiding a negative impact on the post's ranking. If the post turns out to be a miss, it wasn't because of anything we did. If we do get lucky and hit the front page, then we've got more eyes on the post, our community members have more opportunity to share their experience, and we get (hopefully) a good PR day for D.