On Tuesday, 7 July 2020 at 15:08:33 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
On Tuesday, 7 July 2020 at 13:00:04 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
Doing that these days would be silly. You can depend on a specific version of a repository without problems.

I always have problems when trying to do that. git submodules bring pretty consistent pain in my experience.

But it probably isn't so bad if the submodule rarely changes.

Just for 100% control anyway nothing beats copy/paste. Then there's zero difference between you writing it yourself.

I kinda wish the D upstream were more willing to do that. My view is it shouldn't be on independent developers to add stuff to Phobos, for example, instead the Phobos team should just be copying and testing modules they are interested in on their own.

git subtree

it's like submodules but also like copy-paste.
            • R... Petar via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • R... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • R... 9il via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • R... Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • R... 9il via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • R... Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • R... Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • R... Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • R... Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • R... Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • R... John Colvin via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • R... H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • R... Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • R... H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • R... 9il via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • R... Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • R... Dibyendu Majumdar via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • R... Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d-announce
  • Re: Decimal string to f... kinke via Digitalmars-d-announce