On Sunday, 6 February 2022 at 13:33:53 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
On Sunday, 6 February 2022 at 10:55:20 UTC, Daniel N wrote:

Guess I'm way too late, I just find it very strange you settled on mixedCase, it's not used for anything else. (nothrow @nogc). I also don't agree with the motivation that @use is hard to search for because @ is an unusual symbol.

@mustUse is a user-defined attribute, and the official style guide says that names of UDAs should be camelCased:

https://dlang.org/dstyle.html#naming_udas

"Hard to search for" in this context means "hard to Google for", not "hard to grep for". Search engines tend to ignore symbols like @.

If you just google for "dlang attributes" you should be able to find what you search for, regardless of what it is called, thus personally I think greppability is the only thing we have to cater for.

If the attribute is in core or truly built-in feels like an implementation detail, if nogc was created today, it also probably would have been listed in core.attribute. By using a different naming convention we actually block refactoring/cleanup of the frontend by moving build-in attributes to the core.attribute.

However by choosing "use" we could avoid the entire discussion about which case to use...

Best Regards,
Daniel N

            • Re: ... Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: ... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... forkit via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... forkit via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... forkit via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... forkit via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... forkit via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... claptrap via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... forkit via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: DIP 1038-... Daniel N via Digitalmars-d-announce
  • Re: DIP 1038--"@mustU... forkit via Digitalmars-d-announce