On Wednesday, 28 February 2024 at 15:55:52 UTC, Andrew wrote:
On Wednesday, 28 February 2024 at 15:45:06 UTC, ryuukk_ wrote:
https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/8925/files#diff-647aa2ce9ebedd6759a2f1c55752f0279de8ae7ba55e3c270bd59e1f8c1a5162R131

Why can't D have its own types?

I have to agree with ryuukk_ on this one; it's one thing to maintain binary compatibility with C, and another to import and use C symbols all over the place in the standard library. I think that interfaces with C (or any other language) should be reduced to the minimum required to make something work, and nothing more. So, keep the usage of malloc/realloc/free to allocators and whatnot, and use fread/fwrite only in stdio.

Absolutely agreed, I’d love to use Phobos in code targeting smaller platforms that is not just desktop Linux, macOS, windows or Bsd. Also being able to use smaller libc(s) where a full glibc is not available would be really nice.