Luis P. Mendes wrote:
Hi,

I'm about to begin a project on artificial intelligence, decision trees and some other algorithmic stuff that needs runtime and development speed.

I've been looking to D before, but ended up reading and learning some C+
+.  But C++ seems more complex than I need and outdated (my opinion).
As Python (the language I used to program) is not suitable for the task, I kindly ask you some questions. I only need short answers!

1) Can I access a PostgreSQL and/or MySQL database from D? Are there (fast/reliable) database adapters?

This I don't know. I suggest you ask the tango team.

2) Is it easy to use C++ libraries?  Is it close to use them from inside C
++ programs?
3) D compilers don't yet compile natively in 64 bits processors? Mine is a x86_64 Linux system.

The LDC compiler, is being used currently by members of the Tango framework, especially for large maths problems.
Tango does support 64 bit code.

I might be worthwhile talking to them directly.

You can find them by going to : http://webchat.freenode.net/
and enter "#D.tango" as the channel. Enter your name as a user id.
If you can, try to talk to "fawzi"

you should also check out:  http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango

4) I have to use huge (for me) amounts of data, maybe I'll make use of most of my 8GB RAM memory. Will I find problems due to any compiler/
language limit?
5) Besides Alexei forthcoming book, is there documentation for the whole language and not only to part of it as in http://compsci.ca/v3/
viewtopic.php?t=9518 and http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A_Beginner%
27s_Guide_to_D ?

Details of the book can be found here: http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/LearnToTangoWithD

and yes, I found the book easy to understand.

6) Is D version 2 suitable for a beginner like me starting a new project?

D2 is still a moving target.  Tango runs on top of D1.

7) What advantages can I have in using Tango? Speed? Ease of development? will it be integrated as standard?

Tango is an alternative framework library, which is being activity supported. If you want to compare based on speed, you should write
a small benchmark for your problem.

Nick B