Thanks for your suggestion. In VS 2017, the Property Pages have a configuration drop down list box which allows you select among Active(Debug), Debug, Release, and All Configurations. Mine was set to All Configurations, leaving me to believe that setting something would apply to both Debug and Release. On the surface it seemed to work, setting one or another parameter was felt in both Debug and Release. Verbose -v compilation, for example.

Your message gave me the idea to check the .vcxproj file directly and sure enough, Debug and Release were (quite) different, the relevant offending bit of XML in the Debug linker area was

<IgnoreAllDefaultLibraries>true</IgnoreAllDefaultLibraries>